The Prime Minister Narendra Modi, today, launched the health assurance scheme: Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana – at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
Prime Minister said this launch has been done with a vision to provide the poorest of the poor, and the underprivileged sections of society, with better healthcare and treatment.
All you need to know about the scheme:
- It is the world’s biggest health assurance scheme.
2. The number of beneficiaries of this scheme is roughly equal to the population of the European Union, or the population of America, Canada and Mexico, taken together.
3. It envisions health assurance of Rs 5 lakh per family per year, and will benefit over 50 crore people.
4. It would cover 1,300 illnesses, including serious illnesses such as cancer and heart disease.
5. Private hospitals too would be part of this scheme.
6. The amount of Rs 5 lakh would cover all investigations, medicine, pre-hospitalization expenses etc.
7. The scheme would also cover pre-existing illnesses.
8. People can learn more about the scheme by dialling 14555, or through their Common Service Centres (CSCs).
9. For the States that are a part of PMJAY, people can get the benefit of the scheme in whichever of these States they go to.
10. More than 13,000 hospitals across the country have joined the scheme so far.
11. Ten health and wellness centres inaugurated today. With this, the number of such centres across the country has reached 2,300. The government aims to have 1.5 lakh such centres in India within four years.